'12 Days of Christmas' tops $100,000
The cost of the 364 items mentioned in the traditional holiday song rose 4.4% from last year. Blame the swans-a-swimming.
Want to give your true love a partridge in a pear tree, 12 drummers drumming, and everything else in between in that old holiday favorite, "The 12 Days of Christmas"? The entire list -- all 12 verses -- will now set you back $101,119, 4.4% more than it would have last year. They've never cost so much.
Limiting yourself to the items in the final verse is a relative bargain at $24,263, just 3.5% more than 2010 and slightly less than the 3.9% increase in the Consumer Price Index, The Associated Press says. After all, who really needs more than two turtle doves. Twenty-two, the number you get when you sing the entire song, seems like overkill.
If you order online, the price would be $39,860.06. The high cost of shipping birds is a major factor.
It's an annual holiday tradition at PNC Wealth Management in Pittsburgh to compile the Christmas Price Index, now in its 28th year. "Among the 12 gifts in the PNC CPI, four items (Three French Hens, Eight Maids-a-Milking, Nine Ladies Dancing, and 10 Lords-a-Leaping) were the same price as last year," says PNC, which produced this fun interactive video. Post continues below.
Here's what the items will cost you, if you're so inclined:
- Partridge in a pear tree, $184.99. The pear tree represents $169.99 of the total.
- Two turtle doves, $125, up 25% from the previous year.
- Three French hens, $150, the same as last year.
- Four calling birds, $519.96, a 13.3% drop in price.
- Five gold rings, $645, a bit lower than last year's price of $649.95. "While gold commodity prices are at or near record highs, the demand for retail gold is waning, and thus our Five Gold Rings actually dropped by 0.8 percent this year,” PNC explains.
- Six geese-a-laying, $162, an 8% jump.
- Seven swans-a-swimming, a whopping $6,300, 12.5% more than last year.
- Eight maids-a-milking, $58. These ladies are earning minimum wage.
- Nine ladies dancing, $6,294.03. They're ballet dancers and demand a professional rate.
- 10 lords-a-leaping, $4,766.70.
- 11 pipers piping, $2,427.60.
- 12 drummers drumming, $2,629.90.
More on MSN Money:
Copyright © 2014 Microsoft. All rights reserved.
Fundamental company data and historical chart data provided by Morningstar Inc. Real-time index quotes and delayed quotes supplied by Morningstar Inc. Quotes delayed by up to 15 minutes, except where indicated otherwise. Fund summary, fund performance and dividend data provided by Morningstar Inc. Analyst recommendations provided by Zacks Investment Research. StockScouter data provided by Verus Analytics. IPO data provided by Hoover's Inc. Index membership data provided by Morningstar Inc.
ABOUT SMART SPENDING
LATEST BLOG POSTS
These smart moves can help you save at Kohl's, a destination for frugal shoppers.
VIDEO ON MSN MONEY
BLOGS WE LIKE
MUST-SEE ON MSN
- Video: Easy DIY smoked meats at home
A charcuterie master shares his process for cold-smoking meat at home.
- Jetpacks about to go mainstream
- Weird things covered by home insurance
- Bing: 70 percent of adults report 'digital eye strain'