Smart TaxesSmart Taxes

Documents you can toss after you file your taxes

With tax time behind you, it's time to look at whether you really need all those piles of papers you've been saving.

By MSN Money Partner Apr 15, 2013 11:04AM

This post is by Kimberly Lankford at Kiplinger's Personal Finance Magazine.


© James Darell, Getty ImagesThis is the perfect time of year to go through your old files and shred financial records you no longer need. The IRS generally has up to three years after the tax-filing deadline to audit your return, so you can get rid of a lot of paperwork after April 15.


Don’t toss your tax returns (including your 1040 and supporting tax forms); you should keep them forever. They can provide important information in the future -- if, for example, you need to provide tax information when applying for a mortgage or getting disability insurance. You can keep the paper forms or digital copies.


But go ahead and ditch supporting documents three years after the tax-filing deadline. That includes credit-card statements, canceled checks or receipts to show deductions, letters from charities reporting gifts, and paperwork reporting mortgage interest or capital gains distributions. See IRS Publication 552 Recordkeeping for Individuals for more information about tax records.


And there are a lot of other financial documents you can toss (or, even better, shred) even sooner, if you don’t need them for taxes. You can get rid of monthly brokerage statements as soon as you check the numbers against your year-end statement, credit-card receipts as soon as everything matches up with your monthly statement (unless you need to keep them for tax purposes, such as documenting a business expense) and pay stubs after they match up with your annual pay reported on your W-2 (but save your December pay stub if it shows charitable contributions made by payroll deduction).

You can also dispose of copies of your utility, phone and cable bills as soon as the next month’s bill arrives reporting that your payment has been received (but keep utility bills with your tax records if you’re taking a home-office deduction or with your house records if you’d like to show prospective home buyers the cost of maintaining your house). You may not need to keep some files at all if they are easily accessible online -- utility, credit card and loan statements are generally available online for a year or more.


Hang on to a few tax-related documents more than three years:

  • Keep records of stock and mutual fund purchases made in taxable accounts for as long as you hold those investments. When you sell the stocks or funds, you’ll need to report the purchase price, date of purchase, and number of shares.
  • Keep Form 8606 reporting any nondeductible IRA contributions until you withdraw all the money from your IRA, so you won’t be taxed again on those contributions when you take out the money in retirement.
  • Keep home-purchase and home-improvement documents until three years after you sell the home. Most people no longer need to pay taxes on their home-sale profits – single filers can exclude $250,000 in profits, and married couples filing jointly can exclude $500,000, as long as they’ve lived in the home for at least two of the past five years. But if you haven’t lived in your house for that long -- or if your profits are larger than the exclusion -- then the home-improvement records can substantiate a boost in your tax basis (your investment in the house) and reduce any taxable gain. See IRS Publication 523 Selling Your Home for details.
Some people keep all of their tax records for up to six years if they’re self-employed, especially if they have income from a variety of sources. The IRS has up to six years to audit people who neglect to report more than 25% of their income.


More from and MSN Money:



Apr 15, 2013 3:42PM
If you are ever accused of hiding assets, the IRS can force you to prove up to six years of documentation.  I would not throw anything out before then.
Apr 15, 2013 4:16PM
they went back 10 years for me. dont throw anything away.
Apr 15, 2013 4:46PM
The state of California came back on me after 24 years. Said they could not "find" the return and of course after that long I no longer had them. The state said we owed over $350. They had an amnesty program and would not charge interest or penalties if we filed (re-filed) and sent the money. I filled out the tax form they sent me and sent them a check. A few weeks later I received a refund from the state for over $700. 
Apr 15, 2013 4:09PM
you can walk on water, turn water to wine, lead to gold. irregardless. pay your taxes. not worth looking over your shoulder. if the govt wants to come after you there is not a damn thing you can do about it. except sign the plea bargain.
Please help us to maintain a healthy and vibrant community by reporting any illegal or inappropriate behavior. If you believe a message violates theCode of Conductplease use this form to notify the moderators. They will investigate your report and take appropriate action. If necessary, they report all illegal activity to the proper authorities.
100 character limit
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?


Copyright © 2014 Microsoft. All rights reserved.

Fundamental company data and historical chart data provided by Morningstar Inc. Real-time index quotes and delayed quotes supplied by Morningstar Inc. Quotes delayed by up to 15 minutes, except where indicated otherwise. Fund summary, fund performance and dividend data provided by Morningstar Inc. Analyst recommendations provided by Zacks Investment Research. StockScouter data provided by Verus Analytics. IPO data provided by Hoover's Inc. Index membership data provided by Morningstar Inc.