Quick ways to use that last flexible spending money
Some employees have until March 15 to use up all the money in their flexible spending accounts. Here are some quick ways to use it so you don't lose it.
This post is by Kimberly Lankford of Kiplinger's Personal Finance Magazine.
You can use the FSA money for yourself, your spouse or any dependents (including adult children up to age 26, even if they aren’t included on your health insurance policy).
Here are a few ideas to clear out that money from the account in the next week.
- Schedule a last-minute dental or vision exam for you, your spouse or your kids. It could be a good time to get everyone’s teeth cleaned.
- Order an extra pair of glasses, or new prescription sunglasses for the spring.
- Stock up on contact lenses and contact lens solution for the next several months.
- Order next month’s prescription medications now.
- See whether your doctor will write a prescription for over-the-counter medications, such as allergy drugs, cold and flu medications, or aspirin or other pain relievers.
- Buy a first-aid kit, Band-Aids and Ace bandages.
- Visit a chiropractor or acupuncturist.
- Buy a blood pressure monitor, thermometer or heart rate monitor.
For more ideas for eligible FSA expenses, visit the FSAstore.com, which sells items specifically approved for FSAs (and makes it clear which items are eligible with and without a doctor’s prescription). Also see Save Smart Spend Healthy.
More from Kiplinger's Personal Finance Magazine and MSN Money:
Copyright © 2013 Microsoft. All rights reserved.
Quotes are real-time for NASDAQ, NYSE and AMEX. See delay times for other exchanges.
Fundamental company data and historical chart data provided by Thomson Reuters (click for restrictions). Real-time quotes provided by BATS Exchange. Real-time index quotes and delayed quotes supplied by Interactive Data Real-Time Services. Fund summary, fund performance and dividend data provided by Morningstar Inc. Analyst recommendations provided by Zacks Investment Research. StockScouter data provided by Verus Analytics. IPO data provided by Hoover's Inc. Index membership data provided by SIX Financial Information.