Smart TaxesSmart Taxes

Does the IRS owe you $1,471?

Agency has $164.6 million in unclaimed refunds. If you're expecting a check, make sure the IRS has your correct address.

By MSN Money Partner Apr 29, 2011 12:34PM

What could you do with $1,471?


That's the average amount of the tax refund checks that were returned in fiscal 2010 to the Internal Revenue Service because they were undeliverable.


Whether your unclaimed refund is less or more, any amount would be nice as your bills roll in.


In all, as of November 2010, the IRS had 111,893 refund checks totaling $164.6 million in missing money.


The main reason the checks were returned is simple: The taxpayers moved after filing their tax returns and forgot to give the IRS their new addresses.


In some cases, the addresses on people's tax forms were illegible, causing the checks to be issued to wrong addresses.


Post continues below video.



Let the IRS know where you live


Whatever the reason, the IRS has money that could be yours. All you have to do is let the agency know where to send it.


The simplest method is to provide your address electronically, via the agency's refund-tracking Web page.


Taxpayers can also call 1-800-829-1954 to check on a refund and receive instructions on how to update an address.


And the IRS still accepts a mailed Form 8822 (.pdf download) for address changes, but this method will take longer.


Tracking down your refund


Go to the IRS website,, to check the status of your refund. Click on "Where's My Refund." When using the Web or phone option, have your tax return handy. You'll need to provide your Social Security number, your filing status and the amount of the refund shown on your tax return.


If the money went back to the IRS, you will be prompted to enter your correct mailing information during the tracking process.


However, if you moved and simply want to use the online or phone option to let the IRS know about your new address, you're out of luck. You'll have to use Form 8822 to ensure future refunds make it to your new home.


Collect directly


The IRS deals with returned refunds every year, and every year the agency cites the undeliverable checks as a reason for people to have refunds deposited electronically into a bank account. This year, the agency also offered the option of receiving refunds on debit cards.

Here are four reasons more than 73 million taxpayers chose Direct Deposit in 2010:

  1. Security. Thousands of paper checks are returned to the IRS by the U.S. Post Office every year as undeliverable mail. Direct Deposit eliminates the possibility of your refund check being lost, stolen or returned to the IRS as undeliverable.
  2. Convenience. The money goes directly into your bank account. You won’t have to make a special trip to the bank to deposit the money yourself.
  3. Ease. Simply follow the instructions on your return. Make sure you enter the correct bank account and bank routing numbers on your tax form and you’ll receive your refund quicker than ever.
  4. Options You can deposit your refund into multiple accounts. With the split refund option, taxpayers can divide their refunds among as many as three checking or savings accounts and up to three different U.S. financial institutions. Use IRS Form 8888, Allocation of Refund (Including Savings Bond Purchases), to divide your refund. A word of caution: Some financial institutions do not allow a joint refund to be deposited into an individual account. Check with your bank or other financial institution to make sure your Direct Deposit will be accepted.

Tips for direct deposit are available in IRS Publication 17, Your Federal Income Tax. To get a copy of Publication 17 or Form 8888, visit the IRS Forms and Publications section at or call 800-TAX-FORM (800-829-3676).


The IRS emphasizes that electronic delivery is more secure and convenient. There is no check to get lost -- or returned as undeliverable -- and there's no special trip to the bank to cash or deposit the check.


To request direct deposit next filing season, simply follow the instructions on the "refund" line of your tax return. You can have a refund deposited directly regardless of which return --- 1040EZ, 1040A or 1040 -- you file.


This article was reported by Kay Bell for


Updated Jan. 12, 2010


Updated April 29, 2011 by Jeff A. Schnepper


More from MSN Money:


Jul 25, 2011 11:01AM
I have a particular gripe with earned income credit, given to people with children.  I do not belive we should be giving extra money, not paid in or earned by these folks, just because they have children.  If you want to get married and have children fine, but don't ask me to pay for them.  I never had this kind of benefit, while raising my children and neither should you. 
They are your responsibility.  I also do not belive that, children or their parents, should be able to draw from the social security fund, just because they are divorced.  I personally think, that if you want a divorce any extra expense you encounter should be your problem along with your x-spouse, not mine.
Aug 2, 2011 1:58PM
 the earned income credit is to help a family make the minimum to bring them to poverty level, they get an amount based on what they pay in, i haven't looked at it lately, but i also believe young adults without children receive the credit below a income level, as for the statement if you get divorced you should not be allowed to draw off your ex spouses SS that's plain asinine, when me and my better half chose to have children we also made a choice that she would not work, she has earned that money same as i have.
Please help us to maintain a healthy and vibrant community by reporting any illegal or inappropriate behavior. If you believe a message violates theCode of Conductplease use this form to notify the moderators. They will investigate your report and take appropriate action. If necessary, they report all illegal activity to the proper authorities.
100 character limit
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?


Copyright © 2014 Microsoft. All rights reserved.

Fundamental company data and historical chart data provided by Morningstar Inc. Real-time index quotes and delayed quotes supplied by Morningstar Inc. Quotes delayed by up to 15 minutes, except where indicated otherwise. Fund summary, fund performance and dividend data provided by Morningstar Inc. Analyst recommendations provided by Zacks Investment Research. StockScouter data provided by Verus Analytics. IPO data provided by Hoover's Inc. Index membership data provided by Morningstar Inc.