Is the market weakness temporary?
The market closed down for the week but up for the month -- and the last 3 months too.
Value Line Index: Contains 1700 stocks, so it's much broader than the S&P 500 or the even narrower Dow 30 -- down for the week but up for the month
- Index down 3.16% for the week but still up 4.94% for the month
- The Index closed Friday below its 20 day moving average but above its 50 & 100 DMA
- Barchart technical signals have a 40% short term sell but an 8% overall buy signal
- Index was positive 3 months in a row
Barchart Market Momentum: The percentage of stocks closing above their daily moving averages for various time periods -- above 50% means a rising tide floats all boats -- slight weakness this week
- 20 DMA -- only 48.96% closed above -- 77.93% last week -- 64.63% last month
- 50 DMA -- 72.10% closed above -- 85.00% last week -- 82.15% last month
- 100 DMA -- 80.05% closed above -- 86.23% last week -- 81.31% last month
Ratio of stocks hitting new highs to stocks hitting new lows -- 1.0+ bullish, 1.0 neutral, below .99 bearish -- still a bullish sign for this week
- 20 day ratio of new highs/new lows -- 1297/790 = 1.61
- 65 day ratio of new highs/new lows -- 978/177 = 5.52
- 100 day ratio of new highs/new lows -- 837/391 = 2.14
Investment Strategy: Although the market ended weak for the week we are still above the 50 day moving averages. Don't be afraid to trim weak stocks ( those trading below their 50 day moving average ) but cautious investors might want to wait till later in the week to see how long the effects of bad news might linger. Long term investors might see this slight dip as an opportunity to pick up a few bargains.
Jim Van Meerten is an investor who writes on financial matters here and on Financial Tides. Please leave a comment below or email JimVanMeerten@gmail.com
MORE ON MSN MONEY
Copyright © 2013 Microsoft. All rights reserved.
Fundamental company data and historical chart data provided by Morningstar Inc. Real-time index quotes and delayed quotes supplied by Morningstar Inc. Quotes delayed by up to 15 minutes, except where indicated otherwise. Fund summary, fund performance and dividend data provided by Morningstar Inc. Analyst recommendations provided by Zacks Investment Research. StockScouter data provided by Verus Analytics. IPO data provided by Hoover's Inc. Index membership data provided by Morningstar Inc.
The Fed may start tapering in just a few months. Here are a few of the likely winners and losers.
VIDEO ON MSN MONEY
Top Stocks provides analysis about the most noteworthy stocks in the market each day, combining some of the best content from around the MSN Money site and the rest of the Web.
Contributors include professional investors and journalists affiliated with MSN Money.
Follow us on Twitter @topstocksmsn.