Market action was down
This week's market action was nothing to write home about.
Value Line Index - Contains 1700 stocks so its broader than the S&P 500 or very narrow Dow 30 -- Things didn't happen
- Price down .98% for the 4 1/2 day period
- Price down 2.32% for the last 20 sessions
- 9 of Barchart's 13 technical indicators signal sell for a 64% sell signal
- Relative Strength Index is only 39.22% and falling
- At Friday noon the Index was at 2265.19, that's below its 50 day moving average of 2345.33
Barchart Market Momentum -- Contains approximately 6000 stocks -- Percentage of stocks trading above their Daily Moving Averages for various periods --50% and above is good -- Nothing good here either
- Friday at noon only 28.18% traded above their 20 DMA, only 45.34% traded above their 50 DMA, only 39.99% traded above their 100 DMA
- Last week only 34.95 traded above their 20 DMA, over 50.84% traded above their 50 DMA, only 41.43% traded above their 100 DMA
- Last month over 84.74% traded above their 20 DMA, over 68.44% traded above their 50 DMA, only 49.47% traded above their 100 DMA
Ratio of stocks hitting new highs/new lows for various time frames -- 1.0+ bullish, 1.0 neutral, under .99 bearish -- This indicator is very bearish
- 1 month new high/new low ratio -- 68/1032 = .07
- 3 month new high/new low ratio -- 38/483 = .08
- 6 month new high/new low ratio -- 25/62 = .40
Summary and Investment Strategy -- Market action was negative. I'll keep trimming but not adding positions until I see some technical improvement in the market.
Disclosure: No positions in the stock mentioned at the time of publication
Copyright © 2014 Microsoft. All rights reserved.
Fundamental company data and historical chart data provided by Morningstar Inc. Real-time index quotes and delayed quotes supplied by Morningstar Inc. Quotes delayed by up to 15 minutes, except where indicated otherwise. Fund summary, fund performance and dividend data provided by Morningstar Inc. Analyst recommendations provided by Zacks Investment Research. StockScouter data provided by Verus Analytics. IPO data provided by Hoover's Inc. Index membership data provided by Morningstar Inc.
Down for the short term, BHP Billiton, China Mobile, and McDonald's should have profitable futures.
VIDEO ON MSN MONEY
Top Stocks provides analysis about the most noteworthy stocks in the market each day, combining some of the best content from around the MSN Money site and the rest of the Web.
Contributors include professional investors and journalists affiliated with MSN Money.
Follow us on Twitter @topstocksmsn.