Weak ending for the week
The downward roller coaster ride continued
Value Line Index-- Contains 1700 stocks so I think it is a better representation of the market than the S&P 500 or the even narrower Dow 30 -- down 4 days out of 5
- Although we are up by 5.75% since the beginning of the month we are down 6.54% for the last month
- 80% Barchart technical sell signal
- Closed Friday below its 20, 50 and 100 day moving average
- Barchart Trend Spotter (tm) sell signal
Barchart Market Momentum -- Contains approximately 6000 stocks -- Percentage of stocks closing above the Daily Moving Averages (DMA) for various time frames -- Needs to be above 50% for me to get excited -- I'm not excited this week
- This week only 41.57% closed above their 20 DMA, only 40.33% closed above their 50 DMA, only 33.59% closed above their 100 DMA
- Last week over 52.76% closed above their 20 DMA, only 43.43% closed above their 50 DMA, only 38.40% closed above their 100 DMA
- Last month over 72.26% closed above their 20 DMA, only 39.32% closed above their 100 DMA, over 50.57% closed above their 100 DMA
Ratio of stocks hitting new highs/new lows for various time frames -- 1.0+ bullish, 1.0 neutral, below .99 bearish -- Short term more lows than highs
- 1 month new highs/new lows -- 513/550 = .93
- 3 month new highs/new lows -- 276/301 = .92
- 6 month new highs/new lows -- 1.28
Summary and Investment Strategy -- All 3 yard sticks were negative in the short term this week. I will continue to trim stocks from my portfolios that are not beating the market. If I find some bond funds or stocks fighting the trend I might average in but I'm not in a mood to bottom fish. Time to use extreme caution.
Disclosure: No positions in the stock mentioned at the time of publication
Copyright © 2014 Microsoft. All rights reserved.
Fundamental company data and historical chart data provided by Morningstar Inc. Real-time index quotes and delayed quotes supplied by Morningstar Inc. Quotes delayed by up to 15 minutes, except where indicated otherwise. Fund summary, fund performance and dividend data provided by Morningstar Inc. Analyst recommendations provided by Zacks Investment Research. StockScouter data provided by Verus Analytics. IPO data provided by Hoover's Inc. Index membership data provided by Morningstar Inc.
The apparel chain takes a hard hit after blaming the weather for its quarterly sales decline. But cold temperatures don't explain the drop in full-year sales as well.
VIDEO ON MSN MONEY
Top Stocks provides analysis about the most noteworthy stocks in the market each day, combining some of the best content from around the MSN Money site and the rest of the Web.
Contributors include professional investors and journalists affiliated with MSN Money.
Follow us on Twitter @topstocksmsn.