Market rally or just a recovery?
Last week's action was good, but can we call it a rally?
Value Line Index -- Contains 1700 stocks so it's more representative of the market than the narrow S&P 500 or very narrow Dow 30 -- Marked improvement this week but still not a full blown trend
- Index up 5.77% for the week but only up about 1.83% for the last month
- Barchart technical indicators have 6 out of 13 indicators signaling a buy for a 16% overall buy signal
- Barchart Trend Spotter (tm) is still on hold
- Index closed Friday above its 20 and 50 day moving average but is still below its 100 day moving average
- Index closed on Friday at 2400.25 slightly above its 50 day moving average of 2347.37
Barchart Market Momentum -- Contains approximately 6000 stocks -- Percentage of stocks closing above their Daily Moving Averages (DMA) for various time frames -- Above 50% is bullish, below 50% bearish -- For the week good but still not a trend
- For the week 82.16% closed above the 20 DMA, 68.90% above the 50 DMA, 50.15% above the 100 DMA
- Last week only 41.69% closed above their 50 DMA, only 40.44% closed above their 50 DMA, only 33.90% closed above their 100 DMA
- Last month only 42.46% closed above their 20 DMA, only 29.22% closed above their 50 DMA, only 39.97% closed above their 100 DMA
Ratio of stocks hitting new highs/new lows for various time frames -- 1.0+ bullish, 1.0 Neutral, below .99 bearish -- Many more new highs than new lows
- 1 month new highs/new lows -- 2315/259 = 8.94
- 3 month new highs/new lows -- 591/136 = 4.35
- 6 month new highs/new lows -- 494/90 = 5.49
Summary and Investment Strategy -- There is no doubt that this week was a remarkable week but I'm still cautious, We have had a downward trading trend since April and I'll call last weeks action more of a recovery than a rally. I will continue to stick to my strategy of culling from my portfolio stocks that aren't keeping up with the market and only replacing with stocks that have hit new highs in at least 50% of the recent trading sessions.
Jim Van Meerten is an investor who writes on investing here and on Barchart Portfolio Blogs. Please leave a comment below or email JimVanMeerten@gmail.com.
Copyright © 2014 Microsoft. All rights reserved.
Fundamental company data and historical chart data provided by Morningstar Inc. Real-time index quotes and delayed quotes supplied by Morningstar Inc. Quotes delayed by up to 15 minutes, except where indicated otherwise. Fund summary, fund performance and dividend data provided by Morningstar Inc. Analyst recommendations provided by Zacks Investment Research. StockScouter data provided by Verus Analytics. IPO data provided by Hoover's Inc. Index membership data provided by Morningstar Inc.
The solid report comes a month after the retailer closed all of its Canadian operations.
VIDEO ON MSN MONEY
Top Stocks provides analysis about the most noteworthy stocks in the market each day, combining some of the best content from around the MSN Money site and the rest of the Web.
Contributors include professional investors and journalists affiliated with MSN Money.
Follow us on Twitter @topstocksmsn.