OK week for the market
Not great but starting to get some support
Value Line Index -- Contains 1700 stocks so its more representative of the market than the S&P 500 or very narrow Dow 30 -- Down slightly for the week
- Down by .51% for the week
- 40% short term Barchart buy signal
- Closed on Friday at 2376 slightly above its 50 day moving average of 2330
- 14 day Relative Strength Index is 56.14% and rising
Barchart Market Momentum -- Contains 6000 stocks -- Percentage of stocks closing above their daily moving averages for various periods -- Market seems to be trending higher
- Friday over 77.82% closed above their 20 DMA, over 69.50% closed above their 50 DMA, over 59.56% closed above their 100 DMA
- Last Week over 69.42% closed above their 20 DMA, over 65.08% closed above their 50 DMA, over 53.04% closed above their 100 DMA
- Last Month only 37.65% closed above their 20 DMA, over 53.59% closed above their 50 DMA, only 42.25% closed above their 100 DMA
Ratio of new highs/new lows for various time periods -- 1.0+ bullish, 1.0 neutral, below .99 bearish -- Bullish for all time frames
- 1 month new highs/new lows -- 682/148 = 4.61
- 3 month new highs/new lows -- 292/93 = 2.82
- 6 month new highs/new lows -- 147/65 = 2.26
Summary and Investment Strategy -- The market seems to be getting more solid. I'll continue to trim stocks no longer maintaining upward momentum and make new additions that fit my criteria.
My Wall Street Survivor portfolio is up 5.26% for the month so I'm happy.
Disclosure: No positions in the stock mentioned at the time of publication
Copyright © 2014 Microsoft. All rights reserved.
Fundamental company data and historical chart data provided by Morningstar Inc. Real-time index quotes and delayed quotes supplied by Morningstar Inc. Quotes delayed by up to 15 minutes, except where indicated otherwise. Fund summary, fund performance and dividend data provided by Morningstar Inc. Analyst recommendations provided by Zacks Investment Research. StockScouter data provided by Verus Analytics. IPO data provided by Hoover's Inc. Index membership data provided by Morningstar Inc.
Like many companies this winter, the fast-food giant blamed a drop in same-store sales on the weather. But could its problems be bigger than a snowbank?
VIDEO ON MSN MONEY
Top Stocks provides analysis about the most noteworthy stocks in the market each day, combining some of the best content from around the MSN Money site and the rest of the Web.
Contributors include professional investors and journalists affiliated with MSN Money.
Follow us on Twitter @topstocksmsn.