Conference Board reports economy improving
A summary of current leading economic indicators
- How is the economy doing?
- How is the stock market doing?
- What stocks have the most consistent price appreciation in the present economic and market environment?
- Which individual stocks meet my minimum criteria to add to my portfolio?
There is just too much economic information out there, and the more I research, the more confused I get. Put two economist in a room and they will issue five different opinion papers.
To cut through all that confusion, I have come to rely on the Conference Board's Leading Economic Index. It's published once a month and consists of a Leading Economic Index (LEI), a Coincident Economic Index (CEI) and a Lagging Economic Index (LAG). Since there are only 21 components on the report, I'm not buried in so much data that I get confused.
I'd like to summarize the report to make it simple but have added a link to the complete report so you can draw your own conclusions:
- LEI is up for the seventh straight month -- this month by 0.3%, but residential building permits are still a major weak point.
- CEI is flat and basically has been since June -- GDP expanding with industrial productivity up and the employment indicators down. Sounds like we are doing more with less and hopefully getting more efficient.
- LAG is still declining with two indicators up and five down, but the rate of decline is slowing slightly, with the biggest problems in commercial and industrial loans outstanding.
The roller coaster has reached the bottom and is starting to come back up. I'm confident that I'll be seeing positive but not significant price appreciations until the middle cars on the roller coaster climb out of the trough.
I look forward to next month's report, due Dec. 17.
Copyright © 2014 Microsoft. All rights reserved.
Fundamental company data and historical chart data provided by Morningstar Inc. Real-time index quotes and delayed quotes supplied by Morningstar Inc. Quotes delayed by up to 15 minutes, except where indicated otherwise. Fund summary, fund performance and dividend data provided by Morningstar Inc. Analyst recommendations provided by Zacks Investment Research. StockScouter data provided by Verus Analytics. IPO data provided by Hoover's Inc. Index membership data provided by Morningstar Inc.
As the unprofitable video game maker struggles to retain favor among gamers, investors and the tech community itself, it's turning its attention to a much smaller target: mobile.
VIDEO ON MSN MONEY
Top Stocks provides analysis about the most noteworthy stocks in the market each day, combining some of the best content from around the MSN Money site and the rest of the Web.
Contributors include professional investors and journalists affiliated with MSN Money.
Follow us on Twitter @topstocksmsn.