Market improving slightly
The market recovered last week but the bull isn't back yet -- technical analysis of the market
I use BarChart for my technical analysis data. I like the Value Line Index instead of the Dow 30 or S&P 500 because it contains 1700 stocks making it a much broader indicator.
Value Line Index - improving but not back all the way
- The Index was up 3.35% for the week but is still off its previous high by 6.08%
- BarChart's 13 technical indicators still have the index a sell with 4 buys, 4 holds and 5 sells although the sells are weakening and the holds are to the bullish side
- The Index is plotting below the 20 & 50 day moving average but is still above the 100 DMA
BarChart Market Momentum -- the percentage of stocks trading above or below their Daily Moving Averages -- 6000 stocks -- support at the 100 DMA
- 20 DMA -- 64% trading below
- 50 DMA -- 53% trading below
- 100 DMA -- 72% trading above
The ratio of stocks hitting new highs to new lows for various periods - bullish above 1.01, neutral 1.00, bearish below .99 - the ratios this week are getting better
- 20 day new high/new low ratio -- 414/456 = .91
- 65 day new high/new low ratio -- 276/203 = 1.36
- 100 day new high/ new low ratio -- 257/111 = 2.32
Summary -- a week of a little bit of recovery but not a full blown bear market yet. I'll cautiously add a few stocks to my Wall Street Survivor portfolio but only if they meet all my buy criteria.
I did fine on my Wall Street Survivor portfolio with a gain of 6.92% for the week, better than the 3.35% for the Value Line Index. That was good enough for 3rd place but not as good as Anthony Miraydan who beat us all with a 16.09% return
Disclosure: I do not hold any actual positions in any of stocks in my Wall Street Survivor portfolio at the time of publication
Copyright © 2014 Microsoft. All rights reserved.
Fundamental company data and historical chart data provided by Morningstar Inc. Real-time index quotes and delayed quotes supplied by Morningstar Inc. Quotes delayed by up to 15 minutes, except where indicated otherwise. Fund summary, fund performance and dividend data provided by Morningstar Inc. Analyst recommendations provided by Zacks Investment Research. StockScouter data provided by Verus Analytics. IPO data provided by Hoover's Inc. Index membership data provided by Morningstar Inc.
With sales suffering as a string of novelty menu items missed the mark, the fast-food chain's latest offering is a good old-fashioned sandwich with bacon.
VIDEO ON MSN MONEY
Top Stocks provides analysis about the most noteworthy stocks in the market each day, combining some of the best content from around the MSN Money site and the rest of the Web.
Contributors include professional investors and journalists affiliated with MSN Money.
Follow us on Twitter @topstocksmsn.