Weight loss could mean portfolio gains
An expert discusses ways to invest in a new drug before a key panel review.
Written by Douglas Estadt
Adam Warner, our go-to options guy and the author of "Options Volatility Trading" and dailyoptionsreport.com, joins us to discuss alternative ways to invest in VVUS (VVUS) prior to the July 15 panel review date of the company's new weight-loss drug. The stock is currently in the $10 range for common shares, and it stands to rise substantially if the panel review is positive.
- A bullish approach—buying calls on the 10s and selling 15s, could triple your money if the panel’s review is positive
- A bearish approach—buying a put spread (buy 10s, sell 5s)
- Options expire July 16th, just one day after the panel review
- FDA’s decision on the new weight-loss drug will be made on October 23 and will depend heavily on the conclusions of the panel review
- VVUS has another drug following the weight-loss drug that should be more easily approved by the FDA and favorable for VVUS common shares
Visit Wall Street Media. We feature exclusive insights from the world's leading transparent investors.
Copyright © 2014 Microsoft. All rights reserved.
Fundamental company data and historical chart data provided by Morningstar Inc. Real-time index quotes and delayed quotes supplied by Morningstar Inc. Quotes delayed by up to 15 minutes, except where indicated otherwise. Fund summary, fund performance and dividend data provided by Morningstar Inc. Analyst recommendations provided by Zacks Investment Research. StockScouter data provided by Verus Analytics. IPO data provided by Hoover's Inc. Index membership data provided by Morningstar Inc.
As geopolitical tensions threaten to spin out of control, investors are wondering how best to position their portfolios for the global turmoil.
VIDEO ON MSN MONEY
Top Stocks provides analysis about the most noteworthy stocks in the market each day, combining some of the best content from around the MSN Money site and the rest of the Web.
Contributors include professional investors and journalists affiliated with MSN Money.
Follow us on Twitter @topstocksmsn.