Futures flat on global weakness
Caterpillar, Yahoo and a few other companies report earnings.
In other news, money flowed back into peripheral banks in December as deposits climbed in Greece, Spain, Italy, and France, while money flowed out of Germany and Cyprus.
Korea may be the latest nation looking to weaken its currency following similar moves by Japan, as capital inflows are strengthening the Won and hurting exports.
Chinese industrial companies earned record profits in December, with profits rising 17.3% from the same period a year ago.
- S&P 500 futures were flat at 1,495.70.
- The EUR/USD was lower at 1.3447.
- Spanish 10-year government bond yields rose to 5.164%.
- Italian 10-year government bond yields rose to 4.156%.
- Gold fell 0.07% to $1,657.60.
- Click here for more of Benzinga's Top News stories.
Asian shares were mixed overnight with Japanese shares lagging and Chinese shares rallying strongly. The Japanese Nikkei Index fell 0.94% while the Shanghai Composite Index rose 2.14% and the Hang Seng Index rose 0.39%. Also, the Korean Kospi declined 0.36% and Australian shares rose 0.52%.
European shares were mostly flat in early trade with Italy seeing notable strength led by financials. The Spanish Ibex Index fell 0.1% and the Italian MIB Index rose 0.42%. Meanwhile, the German DAX fell 0.09%, the French CAC declined 0.09%, and U.K. shares fell 0.02%.
Commodities were mostly lower overnight led by natural gas as weather in the northern U.S. warms. WTI crude futures fell 0.02% to $95.86 per barrel and Brent crude futures fell 0.29% to $112.95 per barrel while Natural Gas futures declined 2.06% to $3.37 per million BTU. Copper futures rose 0.05% to $365.35 per pound on strength in Australia. Gold was lower and silver futures declined 0.74% to $30.98 per ounce.
Currency markets were in general risk-off mode as the euro declined and the yen gained. The EUR/USD was lower at 1.3447 and the dollar fell against the yen to 90.60. Overall, the Dollar Index rose 0.08% on strength against the pound, the euro, and the Canadian dollar. The pound saw weakness overnight following comments from incoming Bank of England Governor Mark Carney that he is keen on easing policy further in the U.K.
Stocks moving in the premarket included:
- Xerox (XRX) shares rose 1.51% premarket in response to strong earnings last Friday.
- Salesforce.com (CRM) shares rose 1.23% premarket as the company mulls a 4-for-1 stock split.
- Corning (GLW) shares fell 1.06% premarket ahead of the company's earnings release Tuesday.
- Hewlett-Packard (HPQ) shares rose 0.65% premarket following positive comments from a Seeking Alpha post.
Notable companies expected to report earnings Monday include:
- Biogen Idec (BIIB) is expected to report fourth quarter earnings per share of $1.46 vs. $1.51 a year ago.
- BMC Software (BMC) is expected to report fiscal third quarter earnings per share of $1.01 vs. $0.93 a year ago.
- Caterpillar (CAT) is expected to report fourth quarter earnings per share of $1.70 vs. $2.32 a year ago.
- Seagate Technology (STX) is expected to report second quarter earnings per share of $1.28 vs. $1.32 a year ago.
- Yahoo (YHOO) is expected to report fourth quarter earnings per share of $0.28 vs. $0.24 a year ago.
On the economics calendar Monday, durable goods and pending home sales data are due out, followed by the Dallas Fed manufacturing index. In addition, the Treasury is set to auction three- and six-month bills and two-year notes. Overnight, Spanish retail sales and an Italian bill auction are expected.
More from Benzinga
Click here for your FREE two week trial of Benzinga Pro!
MORE ON MSN MONEY
Copyright © 2013 Microsoft. All rights reserved.
Fundamental company data and historical chart data provided by Morningstar Inc. Real-time index quotes and delayed quotes supplied by Morningstar Inc. Quotes delayed by up to 15 minutes, except where indicated otherwise. Fund summary, fund performance and dividend data provided by Morningstar Inc. Analyst recommendations provided by Zacks Investment Research. StockScouter data provided by Verus Analytics. IPO data provided by Hoover's Inc. Index membership data provided by Morningstar Inc.
The chain is selling tobacco for the first time this year, and it's paying off big-time.
VIDEO ON MSN MONEY
Top Stocks provides analysis about the most noteworthy stocks in the market each day, combining some of the best content from around the MSN Money site and the rest of the Web.
Contributors include professional investors and journalists affiliated with MSN Money.
Follow us on Twitter @topstocksmsn.