Global banks can fall further
Even after sharp recent declines, the chart patterns show that four of the most prominent global bank stocks still have more downside potential.
- After collapsing from the 2009 high at $17.89, STD slightly exceeded the 50% retracement resistance but stayed below the more important 61.8% resistance level
- By measuring the width of the flag formation (line 1), you can subtract this distance from support at line b to get a downside target. This projects a drop to the $5 area (see arrow)
- Volume has been heavy, dropping the weekly on-balance volume (OBV) below its support at line c
- There is first strong resistance now in the $9.40-$10 area
- There is next good support for DB in the $38-$35.50 area
- The width of the weekly trading range (lines d and e) is $26, and this range can be used to give downside targets. This width (line 2) can be subtracted from the breakdown level at $45 (line e) to give a downside target in the $19 area
- The weekly OBV dropped below its weighted moving average (WMA) in May and then violated more important support at line g. The daily OBV (not shown) is also negative
- There is initial resistance in the $45-$46 area, which corresponds to last week’s lows
- The relative performance or RS analysis versus the MSCI World Index peaked in the fall of 2010 and has since been in a solid downtrend, line b. The violation of support (line c) was confirmed in late March (line 1) which projected further price weakness
- The daily OBV broke support at the same time as the RS, and has continued to make lower lows. The weekly OBV (not shown) has been in a downtrend since early March
- The targets from the flag formation at $2.30 have been exceeded and LYG has broken below the 2009 lows.
- Often times I measure the width at several places to get different targets because the targets from the widest part of the triangle are sometimes not met. By taking this width (line 2) and measuring down from the break of support at line e, you get a target below $5.00
- The relative strength (RS) line broke support, line h, well ahead of prices and gave advance warning of the price decline
- The daily OBV held above its support (line i) until May and the volume has been heavy this week. The weekly OBV (not shown) has been negative since May
- There is some support from 2009 in the $4.50-$5.00 area with the 2009 lows at $2.86
Copyright © 2013 Microsoft. All rights reserved.
Fundamental company data and historical chart data provided by Morningstar Inc. Real-time index quotes and delayed quotes supplied by Morningstar Inc. Quotes delayed by up to 15 minutes, except where indicated otherwise. Fund summary, fund performance and dividend data provided by Morningstar Inc. Analyst recommendations provided by Zacks Investment Research. StockScouter data provided by Verus Analytics. IPO data provided by Hoover's Inc. Index membership data provided by Morningstar Inc.
Home Depot's CEO says home improvement sales are directly tied to the value of homes.
VIDEO ON MSN MONEY
Top Stocks provides analysis about the most noteworthy stocks in the market each day, combining some of the best content from around the MSN Money site and the rest of the Web.
Contributors include professional investors and journalists affiliated with MSN Money.
Follow us on Twitter @topstocksmsn.