2 high-quality REITs to buy on sale
These specialty real estate trusts have healthy dividends and strong cash positions.
By Tom Aspray
Stocks came under pressure overnight as Hong Kong's Hang Seng Index dropped over 2% after the Chinese premier lowered the country's growth estimate for 2012 to 7.5%, down from 8% where it had been since 2005.
The technical readings for the U.S. stock market weakened Monday, even though the major averages closed well off the worst levels. A sharply lower close Tuesday -- below $135.80 in the Spyder Trust (SPY) -- will indicate that the long-awaited correction is underway.
The majority of the real estate investment trusts (REITs) have corrected over the past few weeks, and specialty REITs are down almost 4% from the recent highs. They are likely to correct further alongside the rest of the market, but as discussed below, the seasonal tendency is for the specialty REITs to bottom in early March.
These two REITs have current ratios well over 1.0, which is a positive sign for their dividends. The current ratio is calculated by dividing the current assets by current liabilities, and this is one way to measure a company’s ability to pay its short-term obligations.
Chart Analysis: The weekly chart of the Specialized REITs Index shows that it was able to surpass the 2011 highs in early 2012.
- The industry group is still above its uptrend, line b, with additional support in the 113 area, which is about 3% below current levels
- The seasonal analysis shows that this group typically forms a low on Nov. 20 and a final seasonal low on March 5
- The specialized REITs form an initial peak on April 29 and then a secondary peak in September
- Once the correction is over, we will be able to better calculate the next upside targets
- LTC has reached first support, line a, with stronger support in the $28.90 area (line b)
- The relative performance, or RS analysis, broke its downtrend, line c, last September and has pulled back to stronger support
- The on-balance volume (OBV) broke its downtrend, line d, in late October
- The OBV did make significant new highs in early 2012, but has now dropped below its weighted moving average (WMA)
- Initial resistance now stands in the $32 area
Rayonier Inc. (RYN) is a $5.4 billion conglomerate that manages and sells real estate and managed timberland properties in addition to producing cellulose products. It has a current ratio of 1.9 and yields 3.6%.
- RYN made a high in January of $47.56 and is now down 6.3% from the highs
- The next strong support is in the $42.65 area, line e
- The long-term uptrend, line f, is in the $39 area
- Relative performance confirmed the recent highs and is already back to first support; the long-term uptrend, line g, is significantly lower
- Weekly OBV confirmed the recent price highs but has now dropped below its weighted moving average
- OBV has next support at the uptrend (line h) with further support at line i
- RYN has initial resistance in the $45.60-$46 area
What It Means: If the broad market's correction is now underway, my analysis indicates it should be a buying opportunity. For those who are underinvested in stocks or want to add some yield to their portfolio, these two REITs look attractive at lower levels.
How to Profit: For LTC Properties, go 50% long at $29.92 and 50% long at $29.30 with a stop at $28.28 (risk of approx. 4.5%). On a move above $31.68, raise the stop to $29.70.
For Rayonier, go 50% long at $43.76 and 50% long at $42.86 with a stop at $39.78 (risk of approx. 8.1%). On a move above $45.60, raise the stop to $42.90.
Copyright © 2014 Microsoft. All rights reserved.
Fundamental company data and historical chart data provided by Morningstar Inc. Real-time index quotes and delayed quotes supplied by Morningstar Inc. Quotes delayed by up to 15 minutes, except where indicated otherwise. Fund summary, fund performance and dividend data provided by Morningstar Inc. Analyst recommendations provided by Zacks Investment Research. StockScouter data provided by Verus Analytics. IPO data provided by Hoover's Inc. Index membership data provided by Morningstar Inc.
Serious issues like drought and the deterioration of the developed world spell opportunity for this industry leader.
VIDEO ON MSN MONEY
Top Stocks provides analysis about the most noteworthy stocks in the market each day, combining some of the best content from around the MSN Money site and the rest of the Web.
Contributors include professional investors and journalists affiliated with MSN Money.
Follow us on Twitter @topstocksmsn.