A biomedical stock with momentum
Whole Foods is sagging, so I'm replacing it in my Wall Street Survivor portfolio with biotech company Techne.
Last week I detected some weakness in Whole Foods Market (WFMI) and needed to replace it with a stock that has positive momentum. The chart below should make it obvious why WFMI needed to be cut.
Most of my picks follow what some people call momentum investing. I do not look for patterns, but I do use Barchart to find stocks that deserve to be recognized for their increases in sales and earnings.
Techne is a holding company with two operating units concentrating on hematology controls, which are used in laboratories to check the accuracy of blood analysis instruments, and biotechnology products such as purified proteins and antibodies.
- 100% Barchart technical buy signal
- Trend Spotter buy signal
- 10 new highs and up 7.89% in the past month
- Relative Strength Index 78.77 and rising
- Trades around 78.37 with a 50 day moving average of 72.82
- Wall Street brokerage analysts have issued five recommendations on this stock.
- There are two strong buy, one buy, two hold and no negative recommendations released.
- Sales are expected to increase by 4.4% this year and 7% next year.
- Earning are projected to increase by 5.7% this year, 8.4% next year and 10.33% annually for the next five years.
- As measured on Motley Fool, there is very positive investor sentiment for this stock to beat the market.
- CAPS members vote 272 to 8 for that to happen.
- The more experienced All Stars vote 104 to 1 for the same result.
Copyright © 2014 Microsoft. All rights reserved.
The idea of US crude being a shelter from turmoil abroad may not be as far fetched as it seems.
VIDEO ON MSN MONEY
Top Stocks provides analysis about the most noteworthy stocks in the market each day, combining some of the best content from around the MSN Money site and the rest of the Web.
Contributors include professional investors and journalists affiliated with MSN Money.
Follow us on Twitter @topstocksmsn.