October is time for patience, not fear
A few weeks from now, when the hoopla of the 25th anniversary of the 1987 crash dies down, you'll be glad you took your time.
This is a tough time in the market. October always brings out the willies -- whether it's because five years ago the market was at a top or because we have seen a crash and a mini-crash in October. At times, the month gives you a clocking as mutual funds take profits before year's end.
It could be more pronounced than ever this year because funds may want to anticipate a change in the tax code so they can beat it at their fiscal year end, which is in four weeks for many funds.
Nothing is tougher than buying into a vicious sell-off -- like Tuesday, when Apple (AAPL) was down $12, Google was on its second plunge in a row and Amazon was taking a big header.
Many buyers want to be in only when the stocks are going up, not down. But I believe you have to leg in with your deep-in-the-money calls and, hopefully, hold out until January, then begin your buying.
Take your time. A few weeks from now, when the hoopla of the 25th anniversary of the 1987 crash dies down, I think you will be glad you did.
Jim Cramer is a co-founder of TheStreet and contributes daily market commentary to the financial news network's sites. Follow his trades for Action Alerts PLUS, which Cramer co-manages as a charitable trust and is long AAPL.
More from TheStreet.com
The problems -
1. no Federal budget in over 3 years
2. NAFTA - now has a strangle hold on America - the loser in NAFTA - AMERICA
3. Uncertainty in the tax code
5. 40 years ago - America has to be energy independent - 40 years later ZILTCH has been done
6. An inept Government - Congress would be fired in the public sector.
7. Off balance sheet unfunded liabilities - Federal government on down to the local level - especially with unrealistic pension returns - Social security is called an entitlement -but we pay into it and your emplyer matches what you pay. If that is the case, then life insurance is an entitlement.
8. An economy of over regulated and over taxed business environment making foriegn courtiers more attractive to do business in.
9. Dept. of Education - when formed in 1969, first school year - high school graduation rate about 70% - now it is about 72% - and many people with a high school education have not been taught the things that they really need to be able to survive in the real world.
10. A government that snubs the Constitution and Bill of Rights..
11. An administration that picks winners and losers and who has created a divided country with class warfare.
12. A President who is polar opposite of Rev. Martin Luther King - and has damaged race relations - starting with his Whitehouse beer summit.
13. A non enforced immigration policy for 40 years
the people in power want open borders for lowest wages.
reagan did his amnesty 33 years ago. from that ocurance the next flood surged over the line. now we have the "dream act" and various off spring legal ideas. except none of the power people will simply SAY the borders are now open.
drive interstate 8 thru arizona (or look at it on a map) and you'll understand why arizona imposed their own rules. if you can walk, you're in. the rio grand "river" is a trickle. no such thing as a **** anymore.
the USA government has allowed arizona and other border states to become NEW MEXICO's without their own state approval.
>>>>> the look the other way immigration policy from Mexico and Central America create a downward push on the American worker and his ensuing lifestyle. <<<<<
Chicago politics in Washington.
NOW THE LYING LIAR EXPOSED: BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA & HIS CRONIES
BoBo kram quote - "hoopla of the 25th anniversary of the 1987 crash dies down"
You should have to wear your red clown nose when you ink this kind of crap.
MK 44 . This is how it works. The Fed gives no cost money to the banks by the tens of billions each and every month and THEY buy oodles of Stocks with it instead of loaning it out to small businesses that inevitably go bust
Cramer doesn't get hardly any readers.
>>>>>So this is where the crazies migrated...<<<
Actually the Taiwan immigration change is likely part of a larger strategy in managing China.
The U.S. is going to have to let Taiwan go to China. As the Taiwan is assimilated into the PRC system, the Taiwan citizens who don't want to live under the new "laws", will need somewhere to go.
Wonder what Jon Corzine GOLDEN PARACHUTE WAS ? What will Jamie Dimon's be ?
MSN or should we say the W/S publishing office more or less has warned everybody that October is a bad month because of earnings. So lets just say that January 2013, April 2013, July 2013 and October 2013 are going to be the same way. And of course they put the blame on the investors,. But we all know that it's the brokers, and traders that are nervous, not the investors. Let's put the blame on who it belongs, which is Wall Street itself!!!!
Copyright © 2014 Microsoft. All rights reserved.
An interest rate tease in The Wall Street Journal sends the market into an optimistic tizzy -- but one that doesn't end quite at the top.
VIDEO ON MSN MONEY
Top Stocks provides analysis about the most noteworthy stocks in the market each day, combining some of the best content from around the MSN Money site and the rest of the Web.
Contributors include professional investors and journalists affiliated with MSN Money.
Follow us on Twitter @topstocksmsn.