Frito-Lay gets healthier

The snack-maker says half of its products will be now made from natural ingredients.

By Kim Peterson Dec 29, 2010 3:06PM
Credit © Lisa Poole/AP
Caption: A convienence store customer make a purchase next to a shelf of Frito-Lay snacksUp to now, just 30% of Frito-Lay foods were considered "all natural." The remaining 70% were mostly unpronounceable additives like sodium diacetate and the ever-popular monosodium glutamate.

Well, Frito-Lay now wants to change that, according to USA Today. The snack-maker, a unit of Pepsico (PEP), says that in 2011, 50% of its products will be made from all-natural ingredients.

MSG will be removed from Lay's Barbeque and Tostitos Hint of Lime chips. Some products will lose the artificial colors as well. 

But other chips will retain their abilities to survive nuclear war. Cheetos and Doritos, for example, will stay the same. Post continues after video:
"The move comes as American consumers are howling for foods made without artificial additives, preservatives and colors," writes Bruce Horovitz, of USA Today.

You can add all kinds of natural ingredients, but in the end the healthiest thing Frito-Lay can do to chips is remove the high fat and salt content. That's not going to happen anytime soon.

At least one nutritionist worries that the new Frito-Lay chips will just encourage people to eat more. But Frito-Lay dismisses those concern.

"It's meant to say: Made with natural ingredients," one executive tells USA Today. "It's not meant to say: Eat more."
1Comment
Dec 29, 2010 8:43PM
avatar
...At least one nutritionist worries that the new Frito-Lay chips will just encourage people to eat more.

Not at their higher prices!

 

Personally,  I find nutrionists to be book smart, but in reality their advice is often flawed.  Especially for us veggie-ans.

 

As an OCD ogre Im more annoyed with the excess crumbling of chips and recently the NOISE level of  SUNCHIPS bags.

 

I miss the original RUFFLES and oils so that it didnt crumble as much.

 

You cant even get a real sharp cheddar flavor, except all over your fingers and none on the tongue.

 

But then,  PEPSICO was never really consumer-responsive.  Rare appearances of P THROWBACK instead of just returning their Pepsi to cane sugar.

 

And, Im still boycotting  Taco Bell for ripping me off and charging  50c for extra lettuce on tostadas, which many locations dropped.

 

SIGH

Report
Please help us to maintain a healthy and vibrant community by reporting any illegal or inappropriate behavior. If you believe a message violates theCode of Conductplease use this form to notify the moderators. They will investigate your report and take appropriate action. If necessary, they report all illegal activity to the proper authorities.
Categories
100 character limit
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?

DATA PROVIDERS

Copyright © 2014 Microsoft. All rights reserved.

Fundamental company data and historical chart data provided by Morningstar Inc. Real-time index quotes and delayed quotes supplied by Morningstar Inc. Quotes delayed by up to 15 minutes, except where indicated otherwise. Fund summary, fund performance and dividend data provided by Morningstar Inc. Analyst recommendations provided by Zacks Investment Research. StockScouter data provided by Verus Analytics. IPO data provided by Hoover's Inc. Index membership data provided by Morningstar Inc.

STOCK SCOUTER

StockScouter rates stocks from 1 to 10, with 10 being the best, using a system of advanced mathematics to determine a stock's expected risk and return. Ratings are displayed on a bell curve, meaning there will be fewer ratings of 1 and 10 and far more of 4 through 7.

116
116 rated 1
284
284 rated 2
461
461 rated 3
671
671 rated 4
628
628 rated 5
618
618 rated 6
615
615 rated 7
495
495 rated 8
347
347 rated 9
115
115 rated 10
12345678910

Top Picks

SYMBOLNAMERATING
DYNDYNEGY Inc10
TAT&T Inc9
VZVERIZON COMMUNICATIONS9
EXCEXELON CORPORATION8
AAPLAPPLE Inc10
More

VIDEO ON MSN MONEY

ABOUT

Top Stocks provides analysis about the most noteworthy stocks in the market each day, combining some of the best content from around the MSN Money site and the rest of the Web.

Contributors include professional investors and journalists affiliated with MSN Money.

Follow us on Twitter @topstocksmsn.