How to spot a potential special dividend stock
These 7 companies are prime candidates to announce payouts before year's end.
During the last three months of 2010 -- the last time the Bush tax cuts were set to expire -- more than 150 companies announced special dividends.
To guard against a rise in tax rates now, several companies are likely to announce special dividends during the last months of 2012 to take advantage of the current 15% rate.
But there is evidence that investors bid up the price of a stock significantly between the date a special dividend is announced and the ex-dividend date.
Bottom line: Special dividends can create trading opportunities! The key is to buy the stock before the special-dividend announcement and that is why the list of stock candidates below should be of interest to investors.
Since corporate executives don't always have the average shareholder's financial interest as a top priority (unfortunately), I believe a company is more likely to issue a special dividend if corporate insiders own a large chunk of company stock and would personally benefit from the dividend payout.
The company must also generate enough cash to pay a large dividend and not be burdened by a lot of debt. Consequently, I screened for stocks where:
- Insiders own at least 30% of shares outstanding
- Free cash flow is greater than 10% of the stock’s market cap
- Debt-to-capital ratio is less than 30%
- NCI Inc. (NCIT), which is involved in cybersecurity software.
- GameStop (GME), the video game retailer.
- ManTech International (MANT), which is involved in electronic warfare.
- Nasdaq OMX Group (NDAQ), the securities exchange operator.
- Molina Healthcare (MOH), which provides Medicaid insurance plans.
- Legg Mason (LM), a money management firm.
- Cross Country Healthcare (CCRN), a healthcare staffing and outsourcing company.
Copyright © 2014 Microsoft. All rights reserved.
Fundamental company data and historical chart data provided by Morningstar Inc. Real-time index quotes and delayed quotes supplied by Morningstar Inc. Quotes delayed by up to 15 minutes, except where indicated otherwise. Fund summary, fund performance and dividend data provided by Morningstar Inc. Analyst recommendations provided by Zacks Investment Research. StockScouter data provided by Verus Analytics. IPO data provided by Hoover's Inc. Index membership data provided by Morningstar Inc.
The solid report comes a month after the retailer closed all of its Canadian operations.
VIDEO ON MSN MONEY
Top Stocks provides analysis about the most noteworthy stocks in the market each day, combining some of the best content from around the MSN Money site and the rest of the Web.
Contributors include professional investors and journalists affiliated with MSN Money.
Follow us on Twitter @topstocksmsn.